1966 Chevrolet Chevelle
AJ has built and owned dozens of vintage Chevelles and found this one a few years back that a buddy of his was less than fond of, so he was selling it for a mere $1,500. Before it got in AJ’s hands, the prior shop deemed it unfixable — the rear quarters were welded in with a 1.-inch difference in height on each side of the car and the driprails were cut off the wrong way.
Being the owner of a hot rod shop had its perks – one being having the talented crew who can pretty much fix anything related to vintage cars; having so much experience with Chevelles made it even easier.
GoodFellows’ shop foreman Victor Hebert ditched the old quarters and stitched in a fresh set of sheetmetal from Original Parts Group. From gap to gap, Hebert prepped the body, massaged the wheel openings, and tubbed the rear inner fenders in preparation for massive rubber.
He got the body back on track prior to dousing the classic in PPG Cortez Silver. Royal Plating in Tucson freshened up the stock bumpers, which now look better than new, and in GoodFellows fashion, Hebert tucked ’em to the body because they just look better that way.
Hebert dropped the whole enchilada on an Art Morrison GT Sport chassis complete with their triangulated four-bar rear suspension arrangement.
Strange coilover shocks and 250-pound springs take up residence out back, while Art Morrison Sport IFS control arms, modified C6 steering knuckles, Strange coilover shocks, 450-pound springs, and power rack-and-pinion steering reside up front.
AJ staggard the Budnik SKO wheels old school like and went with 18s up front and big ol’ 20s out back, then wrapped the quartet in Pirelli rubber. Although the wheels are modern in size, they possess enough vintage styling to preserve the Chevelle’s ’60s aura.
Not vintage are the massive Wilwood disc brakes on all four corners, giving the Chevelle the ultimate in modern stopping power. A hydro-assisted Wilwood master ensures minimal effort for a smooth and predictable pedal.
AJ has been a big fan of the LSA 376ci engine for years and informed us inventory on these mills is just about depleted, but he was able to rathole one away for his wife’s special build. The mostly stock bullet carries all the standard GM goodness with a stock bore and stroke, yet AJ upped the performance with a Texas Speed Stage 2 LS3-B cam. The American Billet LSA Two Tone Diamond Cut accessory drive kit features a black finish with silver accents, which comply with the custom GoodFellows valve covers and Eddie Motorsports hood hinges. GoodFellows’ Conor Jackson, who runs the fab shop, built and plumbed the custom cold air intake up to the cowl for a healthy dose of fresh atmosphere, which AJ claims is “worth 20 hp right there.
” The spent greenhouse makes quick exit via the custom GoodFellows headers, 3-inch stainless custom exhaust, and Spintech mufflers. AJ’s efforts reward the Chevelle with 725 hp and 700 lb-ft of torque.
A GM 4L75E-HT automatic four-speed trans accepts the LSA’s fury and is backed by a 2,800-stall converter. A TAD 3-inch aluminum driveshaft dispenses power to a Strange 9-inch rearend loaded with a limited-slip posi, 4.56:1 gears, and 35-spline axles.
AJ formed a fairly modern-styled cabin that confidently navigates the vintage ’60s vibe. The black leather door panels provide a sporty impression while upholding the Chevelle’s classic roots. That’s a stock dash populated with Dakota Digital gauges. Although the Bluetooth head unit looks factory, the twin set of 300-watt amps wired to a quad arrangement of 6×9 speakers ensure it’s not.
The black double-loop carpet is repro, and the Vintage Air HVAC unit blows through the factory vents. The stock seat was covered in leather with blue accent and custom stitching. AJ preferred the stock bench seat so “Tina can snug up next to me when I take the wheel,” AJ playfully confirms. The American Billet column shifter, Clayton Machine Works interior door handles, window cranks, and pedals certainly add some performance panache.
- SAHİBİ: AJ & Tina Schwichtenberg, Phoenix, Arizona
- ARAÇ: 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle
- TİP: GM LSA
- YER DEĞİŞİMİ: 376 ci
- SIKIŞTIRMA ORANI: 9,1:1
- DELİK: 4,065 inç
- İNME: 3,622 inç
- SİLİNDİR BAŞLARI: Alüminyum L92 tarzı bağlantı noktası
- DÖNER MONTAJ: Dövme krank mili, toz metal çubuklar, ötektik ötesi alüminyum pistonlar
- EKSANTRİK MİLİ: Texas Speed Stage 2 LS3-B 0,641/0,649 kaldırma ve 0,050’de 235/235 süre
- İNDÜKSİYON: 1,9L Eaton TVS süper şarj cihazı
- EGZOZ: GoodFellows özel başlıklar, 3 inç paslanmaz egzoz, 18 inç Spintech susturucular
- YARDIMCI MALZEMELER: American Kütük aksesuar tahrik sistemi, PRC radyatör, özel GoodFellows valf kapakları, GoodFellows özel hava girişi, Eddie Motorsports kaput menteşeleri, Odyssey piller
- ÇIKTI: 725 hp ve 700 lb-ft
- ŞANZIMAN: GM 4L75E
- TORK KONVERTÖRÜ: GM 2.800 durak
- ARKA AKS: Garip 9 inç arka uç, sınırlı kayma konumu, 4,56 vites, Garip 35-spline akslar
Şasi ve Frenler
- ŞASİ: Art Morrison GT Sport şasi
- ÖN SÜSPANSİYON: Art Morrison Sport IFS kontrol kolları, C-6 milleri, Garip sarmal şoklar, 450 kiloluk yaylar, ayarlanabilir spline sallanma çubuğu, kremayer ve pinyonlu direksiyon
- ARKA SÜSPANSİYON: Art Morrison üçgen şeklinde dört çubuklu, garip sarmal şoklar, 250 kiloluk yaylar
- FRENLER: Wilwood 14 inç rotorlar, ön ve arka altı pistonlu kaliperler, Wilwood ana silindir, Wilwood orantı valfı
Tekerlekler ve Lastikler
- TEKERLEKLER: Budnik SKO (18×10 ön, 20×12 arka)
- LASTİKLER: Pirelli 275/35R18 ön, 325/35R20 arka
- DÖŞEME: Çift halkalı siyah halı, özel deri döşeme
- KOLTUKLAR: Stok bankı, özel siyah deri ve mavi dikişli kılıf
- DİREKSİYON: ididit direksiyon kolonu, stok SS direksiyon simidi
- SHIFTER: Amerikan Kütük Modifiye C10 sütun kaydırıcı
- DASH: Standart, deri ön panel
- KAPI KOLLARI: Clayton Machine Works
- PEDALLAR: Clayton Machine Works
- ENSTRÜMANTASYON: Dakota Digital
- HVAC: Vintage Hava
- KAPASİTE VE BOYA: GoodFellows’tan Victor Hebert
- BOYA: PPG Cortez Gümüş
- KAPUT: AMD kaporta
- AYNALAR: Kütük Rides (St. Petersburg, FL)
- IZGARA: Stok
- DÖŞEME PARÇALARI: OPGI
- TAMPONLAR: Dipçik, kesilmiş ve kıvrılmış
- KAPLAMA: Kraliyet Kaplama (Tucson, AZ)
- ARKA LAMBALAR: LED